TecAp employs a number of strategies to realize its mission. These strategies range from grassroots economic development work with women and youth, to networking with local and national organizations to reinforce and expand our efforts, to educating international lenders about the possibilities of lending to small coffee farmers in northern Nicaragua for solar energy purposes.
Our work touches several areas of sustainable development, including family and community economic development, women’s empowerment, and environmental protection. TecAp activities include:
- Training rural women in fair trade coffee cooperatives to promote and earn income selling solar technologies. Learn more.
- Training youth from fair trade coffee cooperatives to become solar technicians. Learn more.
- Researching renewable energy and other technologies that are appropriate for low-income farming families. Learn more.
- Educating international lenders regarding loan products suitable to helping coffee cooperatives lend to small farmers to purchase solar and other technologies. Learn more.
- Educating coffee cooperatives and local governments about the value and possibilities of solar energy for their members or constituents.
- Performing solar energy needs assessments for small farmers, coffee cooperatives, coffee processing plants, and local governments.